Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

Lemony aspirations

Over time, I've realized that I go through these hugely fluctuating phases of excitement over different things. Right now I am consumed by designing/making/shopping for a trip to Italy this summer with my husband.  I am falling in love with so many beautiful ready-to-wear pieces from different designers. At the top my my list is kate spade's Lyric dress.


(low whistle) Beeeyoooo-teeful.


Oh. My. Gosh is it beautiful. Kate really outdid herself this time. It's so effortless and classic, but playful at the same time. It reminds me of the dresses from the movie, Chocolat (Johnny Depp, chocolate, and beautiful costumes. The dresses I speak of belong to the zealous minister's absent wife). It's part of kate spade's Roma Collection, so of course it seems extra extra perfect. But alas, as I was dreamily looking at my new-found love with longing eyes, I saw the price. $398! That's definitely out of the question for my budget. So, I thought to myself, "That's a pretty simple silhouette... I should make it!". Well, it's not a bad idea. But I think I underestimated how difficult it is to find a nice looking lemon printed fabric that is reasonably priced. Oh, and the fact that I'm still at the apprentice to the novice level in sewing.



So here's where I'm at so far-- no fabric, a slight idea of how to construct it, and I have 3 months to make it. Oh, if only I had limitless funds and all the time in the world. As for the fabric, I would love to use a silk cotton blend with a medium weight. I have a kate spade dress from several seasons ago that has a fabric that I love. It drapes like a dream, and feels so nice.

Kate Spade New York 'fleur' Dress
kate spade fleur dress

Can you tell I'm a sucker for kate spade? Unfortunately, there is a problem with lusting after this gorgeous fabric. I have no idea what it is. I know its 50% cotton and 50% silk, but that's it. I've searched high and low (on the internet, that is), but I can't seem to find what anything resembling what I'm looking for under $15.00 a yard. I found a gorgeous fabric on Spoonflower (so yummy), but it's $27.00/yard for the silk blend (eep!). I also find a post on Gertie's Blog for Better Sewing that featured a lemon dress made with a  silk/cotton blend lemon print from Mood. But that was 2010, and it's no longer available. So, it seemed like I was possibly SOL with finding anything that would work.  Just as I was about to give up, my dear friend Carlie brilliantly suggested using a vintage tablecloth (she's so darn smart). And lo and behold!


Ta-da!

There are TWO table clothes that could work-- a rectangular one for the bodice pieces, and a circular one for the skirt. And they're only $20 a piece! For the whole thing! Amazingly enough, the circular one ends up being about the same measurements as the skirt would be (if you're wondering how I know this, By Hand London has a great tutorial on how to draft circle skirts with your own measurements. Go on and search it. You'll thank me later). Of course, I have no earthly idea what the tablecloths feel like, but that's okay. I'll use it as a tablecloth if it doesn't work (I'm such a smartypants). 

So we'll see. I'll keep you posted. Maybe I'll actually get to sewing and remember take pictures this weekend. Who knows! I certainly don't. I may try to revisit the backwards invisible zipper and tear out all my hair. Either way, I'll share my adventures next time.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I also thought about possibly making your own print, all you need is a stamp and some fabric paint! We could practice on some muslim.

    ReplyDelete