Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

In the beginning...

In the last year or so, I began my long awaited journey into the world of sewing after my darling husband bought me my first sewing machine.

Such a baby face

Prior to this, I think I chattered for over a year about how "I always wanted to sew, but never got around to it" or "I can never find anything that I like, I wish I could just make it." So, being the wonderful, encouraging person that he is, he solved my problem with a birthday present. Which then forced me to actually use it because he bought it for me (thanks, honey).
Sewing really is something that I've always wanted to do, but was always so intimidated by it. I think that one of the reasons I avoided it for so long was because I was afraid of making imperfect things (this applies to the rest of my life as well). And of course, I am making imperfect things, but the key word here is making. That is precisely why I decided to start this blog-- to share my process with those of you who feel (or have felt) the same, and to validate my own efforts. My husband certainly has seen me lose hours to a garment, heard me shout obscenities or laugh maniacally from another room (in one instance, I accidentally sewed an invisible zipper on backwards). But the few pieces I have finished have been so worth it.

And so I give you The Lemon Dresses-- sometimes life gives you lemons, and sometimes the things you make will be lemons. But you are not alone. Every once in awhile, you'll make a piece that is so perfectly lemonade (the delicious, homemade variety). Over time, you'll make fewer lemons and more pieces that you will love, and begin to love the times in between for what they are. So bear with me as I share with you all the things I make (wearable or not). I promise that I will not gloss over mistakes to instead show you the magical finished product. You will see as many mistakes as my ego will allow. Then we can all laugh together in hindsight. At times you will be angry, sad, and rage against the sewing machine, but it will all be worth it when someone asks you where you bought your dress. You can then say with great coolness, "Oh, this? I made it."

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Such a great project. I can't wait to see the post about the actual "lemon dress" <3

    ReplyDelete