Pages

Friday, March 20, 2015

The B is Back (with a jumpsuit)

So I'm back from an unintentional, crazy-life hiatus. I honestly have no excuse-- no babies, nothing too crazy at work or home. I just haven't sewn much, and have had even less time to think about blogging. But I'm back, and hopefully I can sporadically post about sewing projects. I try not to do things half-assed, but sometimes all you get is a quarter (am I right?). Also, I never did sew that damn lemon dress. My wonderful aunt-in-law gave it to me randomly as a lovely gift. The best part? She didn't even know I wanted it, nor did she know about this sad excuse for a blog. She also bought me the only size they had, hoping it would fit. Guess what? It did. Serendipity, y'all.

Not the greatest picture, but it's cute, huh?

As of late, I have been lusting after a jumpsuit. With spring happening literally today, and with summer right around the corner (gasp!), I feel like it could be an edgy, sexy, and downright party-ready addition to my wardrobe. I seriously want one; I have searched high and low, and found some with components that I like, but nothing has quite done it for me. There is also the concern about proportions-- I'm 5'11" with, shall we say, a generous backside and a petite top. I anticipate that I would have a hard time fitting a jumpsuit off the rack, to say the least. So I've decided that my next project will be... a jumpsuit! No idea when I'll finish it, and I don't have a serious deadline. However, I do have a bachelorette party coming up on Memorial Day, and I think a jumpsuit would be just the thing :) So here are my thoughts and inspiration thus far.

Lovers + Friends Riley Jumpsuit

I am definitely a fan of this jumpsuit from Lovers + Friends. I love the crossed back, the low v-neck, and the shape of the pant legs. My only concern is that the pants themselves would not look good on me, and also might run a bit short. But who knows? Maybe if it gets close to crunch-time I could just drop almost $170.00 on this baby.




If I thought that last one was expensive, this one definitely would be considered an "investment piece" (which I think is just code for ridiculously expensive). I like how the cutout extends to the side, and the wider leg trousers. If anything the bottoms on this jumpsuit would likely be the most comfortable and flattering. But I'm not huge on the back itself-- I feel like it just looks like you would be wearing a crop top or bra, which takes some of the fun out of it, right? 

I've found one or two patterns that might work, but would definitely need to be adjusted. Whether it's the back, the front, or pant leg shape/width/length, most patterns would need some work (not to mention the sizing and proportions). But who knows! Maybe I'll find the perfect one... maybe not. I'll hopefully share a quick sketch of the jumpsuit I am imagining soon. Or maybe in a year. Who knows!





No comments:

Post a Comment